Does your 5k training focus on speed and injury prevention?
Most 5k training programs are too general for most runners – and they don’t work!
I’m Jason Fitzgerald – USATF-certified running coach, 15:28 5k runner, and founder of this coaching website.
If you’ve read my blog, you know that I advocate for a well-balanced and athletic runner. You need to be strong enough to handle your training before you can start running amazing personal bests.
I’m sometimes amazed at the passionate runners out there who want to improve but have no idea what to do. Many read my blog but don’t take action on the steps that will help them prevent injuries, lose weight, and feel better when they run.
But putting together a complete 5k training program takes work and knowing how to balance recovery, long runs, speed workouts, mobility exercises, and strength work can be confusing.
So today I want to explain some of the main concepts behind a good 5k training plan to help you run faster than ever – without all the overuse injuries that plague most runners.
5k Training Basics
Why do we always crave the end result (like a sub-25min 5k) without understanding how to get that result? I want to make sure you totally understand how to train for a 5k and race well, so I’ve put together some articles for you.
Start implementing the advice in these articles and your 5k training will improve – and so will your race times.
But you might want more information on how to plan your running so you recover well, get fit faster, and prevent over-training. Well, I’ve got a few posts that will help!
A More Comprehensive 5k Program For You
Over the many years that I’ve been running this site and coaching, I’ve learned that most runners hate wasting hours or sometimes days researching the best way to schedule their workouts. Or what workouts they should run at all!
Sometimes, you just want everything laid out in front of you.
Drawing on my knowledge as a USATF-certified running coach, I teamed up with Steve Kamb, Rebel Leader of Nerdfitness.com, to create the Rebel Running Guide.
The Rebel Running Guide is a complete 5k training program for beginner and intermediate runners training for a 5k race. Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll see in the guide:
- Video demonstrations of proper running form
- Treatment and prevention strategies for ITBS, plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, and more
- The best surfaces to run on (and which ones to avoid)
- Video demonstrations of warm-up drills and body weight exercises
- The right way to transition to minimalist running shoes
- A full diet guide, with easy to implement tips to help you lose weight (no “dieting” involved)
- Exercise illustrations so you always know what to do next in your warm-up routine
- Race execution tips, what to eat before a race, and how to warm-up
- What to expect in an Adventure 5k with obstacle descriptions and strategies
- How to recover quickly and prevent those pesky over-use injuries
- And a lot more…
This is everything you need to know to run a successful race and get started with your training. But what makes this guide so valuable are the full 5k training programs so you know you’re training properly. You’ll get four different levels of training plans so you’re doing exactly the right amount of running.
Steve and I set out to create the most detailed beginner’s guide to 5k training, period. I guarantee you’ll be a more confident, faster, better runner after applying the principles in the RRG and following the training plan. If not, you get 100% of your money back after trying the program. No questions asked.
What are other runners saying?
We’ve received some early feedback from runners who have tried it out:
“The best part is the lack of pain. I’ve been trying for years to get back into running, but every time I try, shin splints sideline me. With the Rebel Running Guide I’m two weeks in and no shin pain!” – Justin D.
And here’s a few emails I got from runners that I’ve helped accomplish their goals:
“So far this year I’ve PRd at every distance that I’ve run: 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon! And I’m sure there is more out there for me in this Year of the PR. Best decision I ever made was to hire you! ” - Lisa G.
“Thanks to you, your training plans, the common sense and way you dove right into getting me on track is amazing! I am so thankful I found you- even after only 6 weeks with you! The improvements are noticeable – what you are doing is working for me! Looking forward to the upcoming half. I never knew I could feel this good after a few weeks of focused training!” – Tammy D.
Is the Rebel Running Guide for you?
This program is right for you if…
- You’ve only been running for 1-2 years or less
- You struggle with knowing how to train for a 5k
- Injuries are persistent and you can’t get over little aches and pains
- You want to know how to start running barefoot, or in minimalist shoes
- Your diet is a wreck and you need to know what to eat for weight loss and performance improvement
- You want to eat a paleo diet AND train for a 5k
- You have no idea what to do on race day and how to run your best race ever
Don’t buy this guide if…
- You’ve been running for a decade and “Pete Pfitzinger” is a household name
- You’re training for a half-marathon, marathon, or ultra
- You hate feeling good while running and prefer to suffer
A 5k Training Plan + Detailed Running Advice
The Rebel Running Guide is like a personal trainer who’s always giving you the best advice possible. With a complete, 10-week training program for your fitness level and practical advice to get you to the starting line healthy and feeling great, what do you have to lose?
With the RRG, you get six books:
- The Rebel Running Guide – your detailed “how-to” manual for getting started with running
- Rebel Running Diet – the no-BS plan to eat an awesome diet to lose weight and feel good
- Rebel Running Workouts – your full 5k training plan, with body weight and core exercises for injury prevention
- Rebel Race Domination – how to kick ass on race day
- Rebel Adventure Racing – run your first adventure race and crush the obstacles
- Shoe Purchasing Guide – how to pick the right shoe for you and exercises to keep your feet healthy
- Bonus materials – audio interviews, 10k advanced training plan, and a case study on injury prevention
The Rebel Running Guide is packed with hundreds of pieces of advice, exercises, and training to get you healthier, faster, and more comfortable with running.
I co-authored this book with Steve Kamb, Rebel Leader of Nerdfitness.com. You can read even more about the guide on his website by clicking here.
Remember, there is a 100% money back guarantee (for an entire year) so you have zero risk in checking out the book. If you have any questions, feel free to email me anytime. You’ll never know how good of a runner you can be unless you give it a try.