I’ve said before that running is the best way to experience the world. Adventure awaits any runner willing to explore…
For many of us, running is our escape from the daily grind. We use running to:
- Get some “me time” away from work and family responsibilities
- Explore new trails and wilderness that walkers can’t reach
- Visit a new city for a destination race
- Find hidden gems – like a glacier
Without running, most of us would have far less adventure in our lives.
When else can we prance through the woods like kids? Or run up a mountain? Or simply experience the calm of dawn on a brisk morning run?
It sure beats hanging out in a sweaty gym being assaulted by fluorescent lights!
And when it comes to adventure, the first person I want to talk with is Travis Macy.
Running to Live with Travis Macy
Travis Macy is an endurance Renaissance Man. If it exists, he’s probably done it.
Multiday, team stage race? Snowshoe racing? Ski mountaineering? He’s completed all of that – and a lot more. Sponsored by brands like Hoka and Injinji, Travis has completed over 120 events in 17 countries.
When he’s not running up mountains in Colorado’s front range (even bringing me along for a run), he’s skiing, mountain biking, snowshoeing, or gearing up for his next 100-mile ultra.
His book, The Ultra Mindset, is a blueprint for success in running, business, and life. Miss his actionable running lessons at your own peril…
In the latest episode of the Strength Running Podcast, I sit down with Travis to talk about his many adventures in the world of ultra-endurance.
I’m sure you’ll find it inspiring – but more importantly, the advice can help you plan your next adventure.
Show Links and Resources:
- The Ultra Mindset for Endurance Athletes Course
- The Ultra Mindset: An Endurance Champion’s 8 Core Principles for Success in Business, Sports, and Life
- Elk Meadow Park in Evergreen, Colorado
- The University of Colorado at Boulder Men’s Cross Country Team
- Travis’ freshman year teammate, Dathan Ritzenhein
- Episode 2 and the importance of running easy
- Eco-Challenge: The Expedition Race
- Travis on Strava
- Macy College Consulting (owned by Travis and his wife Amy)
- Saved: How I Quit Worrying About Money and Became the Richest Guy in the World by Ben Hewitt
- Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting Off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World by Ben Hewitt
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us by Seth Godin
- Primal Endurance by Brad Kearns and Mark Sisson
- Positivity by Barbara Fredrickson
- Flourish by Martin E. P. Seligman
- Authentic Happiness by Martin E. P. Seligman
- Mindset: The Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Will it Fly by Pat Flynn
- The Art and Science of Low-Carb Performance by Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney
- Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom
Big thanks to Travis for coming on the podcast! Please give him a shout on Twitter and thank him if you enjoyed the show 🙂
Question for you: Who would you like me to talk to on the podcast? Leave your suggestions below and I’ll try to make it happen for you!