Peter Maksimow has running in his blood. Maybe that’s why he’s so immersed in the trail, ultra, and mountain running communities.
Photo by Adam Williams
A member of the 2015 silver-medal winning World Long Distance Mountain Running team, Peter has been running since middle school. His mother wouldn’t let him play football so he found running and excelled.
Since then, he’s gradually surrounded himself with all things running.
Peter is the Outreach & Partnerships Specialist for the American Trail Running Association, coaches a local youth group, lives in the mountains in Manitou Springs, and used to be a race director.
He’s sponsored by INOV-8 and prefers the steepest mountain races you can find.
Not to mention, he loves a great craft beer!
I first met Peter at the US Trail Running Conference in Estes Park, CO. We sat together at lunch, had a great conversation, and I’m excited to bring his perspectives to the Strength Running Podcast.
Peter Maksimow on Trails, Mountains, and Conservation
Peter is on the podcast today to discuss a wide-ranging set of issues that affect runners:
- What counts as “trail running” (especially if you live in a city)
- How you can get involved with trail maintenance in your area
- Plogging and how we can leave spaces better than we found them
- His favorite type of race
- The ATRA trail race calendar
Show Links & Resources:
- The ATRA “Find a Trail” tool
- Strength Running’s Trail Running Resource Page
- Follow Peter on Instagram
- Trail maintenance opportunities
- How to become a competitive trail runner (with pro Abby Levene)
- How Anna Mae Flynn trains for trail ultras
Please be sure to say hi to Peter on social media and thank him for coming on the podcast!
Also, a big thank you is in order for SteadyMD for sponsoring this episode of the podcast! Learn more about their medical services for runners and how you can benefit from a physician who understands runners.
No wait times, no copays, no office visits. Just a doctor who understands runners who’s always available for you 24/7.