When I started running as a freshman in high school, I had NO CLUE what I was doing. I wore mesh shorts and basketball shoes to the first practice…
The worst part? I thought I could do the high jump like track & field… but cross country is ALL running! There are no field events!
It’s adorable how ignorant I was about running back then.
But as a beginner, can you blame me? Of course not. All of us have to start somewhere and when we do, we don’t know a damn thing.
Flash forward to today: as a USA Track & Field certified coach who’s had 10+ coaches myself, now I know more about running than I ever thought possible.
More importantly, my job is to help you accomplish your running goals – whether that’s a shiny new personal best, a Boston qualifying marathon time, a new distance you’ve never run before, or even losing weight.
And I really want to pay it forward, so today I’m announcing a new web show called Q&A with Coach!
Today, the first episode hits the internet and I couldn’t be more excited because now I get to answer all of your running questions – so you don’t make my mistake of thinking you can high jump during cross country.
I get so many questions on Twitter and this makes it easier for me to give you more in-depth answers – not too much can be said in 140 characters, after all.
Here’s how it’s going to work:
- Tweet your question to me (@JasonFitz1) with the hashtag #RunQuestion
- While running (race strategy, fueling, injuries, training, etc.) is the focus of the show, I’ll make exceptions for great off-topic questions 🙂
- I’ll answer them as fast and furious as I can
Complicated, isn’t it?
Ok, here we go!
Q&A with Coach: Episode 1
In today’s episode, I talk about treadmill running before a marathon, how to prepare for trail running, and how to avoid falling on your face while running on technical terrain.
Show Notes and Extra Resources:
- Ask Jason a question! (use the hashtag #RunQuestion)
- 00:70 — How much treadmill running should you do right before a marathon?
- 00:75 — THEY CALL ME BUM
- How to run in the heat
- 03:40 — What’s more important for trail running preparation, speed or leg strength?
- 04:15 — The best way to get ready for trail running
- Trail Running for Beginners
- 07:35 — How to adjust your footing on trails
- 09:10 — Proper form for downhill running
- The Trail Runner’s Cheat Sheet
- 11:15 — How to get your question on the show
- 11:45 — Random blooper!
Want your question answered on the next episode of Q&A with Coach? Tweet it to me with the hashtag #RunQuestion!
And a big thanks to the three brave souls who volunteered their questions – let’s keep the momentum going!
PS. GoPro Giveaway!
This is the final week to enter the GoPro giveaway so don’t wait. Enter here if you haven’t already.
If you have already entered, remember to share your Lucky URL with your running friends – each referral gives you another TEN entries into the contest!