Episode 11 of Q&A with Coach is not to be missed – we have a special guest joining us, none other than Matt Frazier.
The best freeze frame of the episode
Matt is the author of the award-winning blog No Meat Athlete, the book of the same name, and an accomplished ultramarathoner and Boston Qualifying marathoner.
He’s also a friend, someone I look to for advice when it comes to writing, trail running, and ultramarathons.
This past weekend we attended a blogging conference in Denver and had the opportunity to sit down together for a unique episode of Q&A with Coach.
Today’s topics include:
- How to transition from road marathons to 50k ultramarathons
- When to add hill work (and what types) as you prepare for a long trail race
Matt has run multiple ultramarathons (all of them trail races) so I was excited to hear his perspectives on these topics.
Ready? Let’s do this.
Matt Frazier on Transitioning to Ultras and Training for Trail Races
Note: the audio is fainter than usual, so turn up the volume slightly so you can hear us.
- 1:00 – Question 1!
- 2:00 – Matt shares the biggest difference between road marathons and ultras
- 3:15 – The importance of the Ultra Mindset
- 4:25 – The two variables that define “terrain”
- 5:15 – Two classic ultra workouts that every runner needs
- 7:25 – Question 2!
- 8:45 – Example hill workout #1
- 9:25 – “Roller Coaster runs”
- 9:55 – Roller Coaster runs on steroids
- 10:30 – How Matt preps for hilly trail races
- 11:30 – Effort vs. Pace
- 13:00 – Shout out to Frank Shorter!
Please drop in the comments below and thank Matt for joining me on Episode 11 of Q&A with Coach!
To get your question on the show, tweet it to me on Twitter with the hashtag #RunQuestion (or just email me).
Now, a quick question for you: if you could improve Q&A with Coach, what would you do? Please leave your comment below or email me. Thank you 🙂