Beth Skwarecki is the author of two books and the Health Editor of Lifehacker. She’s here to dispel fitness and health myths that might be leading us astray.
You might have come across Beth’s work. As one of the most popular health writers on Lifehacker – a blog with millions of monthly readers – she’s practically everywhere.
Some of my favorite pieces include:
- Understand Your Apple Watch’s Heart Rate Numbers
- How to be Part of the Decline of Cancer Death Rates
- What Runners Can Do About All Those Race Medals
Beth is a member of the National Association of Science Writers. After getting a BA in biology from Alfred University, she took additional coursework in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Rutger’s University.
She also has previously taught nutrition and environmental sciences at the Community College of Allegheny County.
Her two books will interest the science nerds out there:
- Outbreak: 50 Tales of Epidemics That Terrorized the World
- Genetics 101: From Chromosomes and the Double Helix to Cloning and DNA Tests, Everything You Need to Know About Genes
She’s taking a break from editing health articles to come on the Strength Running Podcast to talk more about health and fitness trends you might have seen recently.
Beth Skwarecki on Thinking About Health
This conversation focuses on the many side aspects of a healthy lifestyle that make running easier.
After all, it’s critical to have a lifestyle that supports running. You can’t train well if you barely sleep and drink a lot…
We’re talking about:
- DNA trivia for runners
- How her job has changed her outlook on health and fitness
- How to engineer a less groggy morning (for the morning runners out there!)
- Whether elderberry supplements are a waste of money
Beth and I also discuss running in the dark, the cutoff point for running in extreme cold, and the warning signs of frostbite.
Resources & Links from the show:
- Beth on Twitter
- Beth’s articles on Lifehacker
- More health Q&A
- Nutrition and diet Q&A
- Beth’s book on infectious diseases
- Beth’s book on genetics
This episode of the podcast is brought to you by Hemp Daddy’s Therapeutics. Started by an ultra marathoner, this company helps athletes recover more fully with full-spectrum CBD products like oil, capsules, and lotions.
And with code strength at checkout, you can now save 10% and get free shipping!
CBD is the non-psychoactive component of marijuana and has been linked to greater levels of overall well-being, reduced anxiety and stress, and sounder sleep (the hallmarks of effective recovery).
All of their products are 3rd party lab tested to ensure purity. Use code strength at checkout to get fee shipping and a 10% discount on any Hemp Daddy’s CBD product.