Today we’re on with my most frequent guest and cohost, Tina Muir, to talk all things injury prevention. We cover your questions and the basics of what every runner needs to know.
Injuries suck. There’s no question about it.
But injuries are ever-present for most runner, including myself. That’s why I’m so passionate about this topic. Strength Running is a resource for you to help prevent, treat, and recover from injuries.
We even have an entire course on injury prevention with treatment protocols specific to runners, including:
- IT Band Syndrome
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Shin Splints
- Muscle Strains
If you’ve experience any of those (or want to avoid them), today’s podcast episode is for you. In answering questions from our community, we’re able to dig deep on the topics that interest you the most.
In this podcast we talk about:
- Recognizing pain versus injury
- Importance of your body’s physiology to help with injury prevention
- Can you be a bodybuilder and distance runner at the same time
- How to manage pain
- Top factors in injury prevention (this one may surprise you!)
- How training journals can help
Tina Muir’s Reality Check for Injuries
Tina Muir is a former pro runner and the host of the Running Realized Podcast. She’s an 11-time All-American athlete and elite athlete for Great Britain who has run in two British Olympic Trials.
Tina knows the desire to keep pushing very well. Yet she offers a reality check to all those who want to keep running through and injury or shortly after recovery:
Still wondering if you should run through pain or stop? Here are the 3 checks I use to support continued running:
- Can you run without sharp pain?
- Does your pain gradually get better while running?
- Can you maintain your normal stride without needing to modify it?
This episode is packed with many actionable tips and we hope everyone will learn something new.
We always have a great time talking together and sharing our knowledge with the listeners. Check out the full episode below.
Links & Resources from the Show:
- Connect with Tina on her website
- Follow her on Instagram
- Check out the Running Realized Podcast
- Learn more about human physiology from Brad Beer on Instagram or Twitter
- Other episodes with Tina:
- Learn more about injury prevention
- Invest in Injury Prevention for Runners
Thank you Precision Hydration!
Thank you to our newest sponsor, Precision Hydration. If you’ve ever struggled with hydration or electrolyte issues, check them out. They offer tablets, packets, and other essentials to help you train in any environments.
Precision Hydration knows that there isn’t a one-size-fits all approach to hydration, which is why I love that they help athletes refine their hydration strategy for whatever event they’re training for. If you can’t get a custom sweat test done, they have a free online test that will give you your own personalized hydration strategy.
It’s heating up where I am and I’m ending my runs a lot sweatier than I was just a month ago. I know I’ll be paying a lot more attention to my hydration and electrolyte needs, especially with longer runs in the mountains here at altitude.
You can learn much more about hydration in my conversation with the founder of Precision Hydration, Andy Blow.
Check out Precision Hydration and get 15% off your first order of electrolytes that match how you sweat by using the code “STRENGTH15”.